DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/2319-2003.ijbcp20195286

Evaluation of awareness about obesity among general public visiting the tertiary care hospital

Umamageswari Arunachalam, Simhadri V. S. D. N. A. Nagesh, S. Priestly Vivekkumar, Abinaya V. S.

Abstract


Background: Obesity is one of the fastest growing threats of health and well-being for both developed and developing countries. The aim of the study was to evaluate the awareness about obesity among general public.

Methods: After obtaining institutional ethics committee approval and written informed consent from the participants, anthropometric measures like height, weight, hip and waist circumference for computing body mass index and waist hip ratio were taken. Using portable bioelectric impedance analyzer body fat percentage was measured. A validated questionnaire including socio demographic details and questions evaluating the awareness about obesity were given to the participants.

Results: Totally 100 participants were evaluated, of which majority being female. Mean height of the male and female participants was 164 and 152cm respectively. Similarly, mean weight was found to be 72 and 65 kg. Based on the body mass index only 19% participants were within normal range, remaining 81% were overweight and obese. Percent body fat and waist hip ratio was found to be increased in both sexes. Majority of the participants were aware that obesity is associated with health problems but most of them were unaware how it is measured and the dietary foods to be taken to reduce obesity. However 64% participants think that obesity can reduce the life expectancy of the individual.

Conclusions: Majority of the participants were obese and overweight while awareness about preventive measures was still lacking. Hence health care personnel need to take greater effort to educate and inform people about the implications.


Keywords


Obesity, Body mass index, Percent body fat, Waist hip ratio

Full Text:

PDF

References


Park K. Epidemiology of chronic non communicable disease and conditions. In: Park’s Textbook of Preventative and Social Medicine. 24th ed. India:M/s Banarsidas Bhanot; 2017: 415-417.

World Health Organization. Key facts: Obesity and overweight. Available at: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight. Accessed on 2 September 2019.

Chan RSM, Jean Woo. Prevention of overweight and obesity: how effective is the current public health approach. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2010;7:765-783.

Pignone M, Salazar R. Disease prevention and health promotion. In: McPhee SJ, Papadakis MA. Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment.15 th ed. New York, NY: Mc Graw Hill; 2011: 14-15.

Shand AG, Wilding JPH. Nutritional factors in disease. In: Ralston SH, Penman ID, Strachan MWJ, Hobson RP. Davidson’s Principles and Practice of Medicine. 23rd ed. United Kingdom, UK: Elsevier; 2018: 698-702.

Amin F, Fatima SS, Islam N, Gilani AH. Prevalence of obesity and overweight, its clinical markers and associated factors in a high risk South-Asian population. BioMed Central. 2015;2(16):1-11.

Kushner RF. Evaluation and management of Obesity. In: Longo DL, Kasper D, Jameson L, Fauci AS, Hauser SL, loscalzo J. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine.18th ed. New York, NY: Mc Graw Hill; 2012: 629-632.

Ho-Pham LT, Lai TQ, Nguyen MTT, Nguyen TV. Relationship between Body Mass Index and Percent Body Fat in Vietnamese: Implications for the Diagnosis of Obesity. PLoS One. 2015;10(5):1-13.

Harvard TH. Obesity Prevention Sources. Available at: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-prevention-source/obesity-causes/diet-and-weight. Accessed on 25 August 2019.

National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and kidney Disease. Health Risks of Being Overweight. Available at: https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/weight-management/health-risks-overweight. Accessed on 16 August 2019.

Delasalle AGM, Arunachalam, Menezes SA. Awareness of Complications of Obesity in Young Individuals. IOSR J Dent Med Sci. 2016;15(8):6-8.

Shrivastava S, Shrivastava P, Ramasamy J. Assessment of knowledge about obesity among students in a medical college in Kancheepuram district, Tamil Nadu. Prog Health Sci. 2013;3(1):54–60.

Carpenter CL, Yan E, Chen S, Hong K, Arechiga A, Kim WS, et al. Body fat and body-mass index among a multi-ethnic sample of college-age men and women. J Obes. 2013;2013:790654.

Yanga F, Lv JH, Lei SF, Chena XD. Receiver-operating characteristic analyses of body mass index, waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio for obesity: Screening in young adults in central south of China. Clin Nut. 2006;25:1030–9.