The effect of using Laban leaf (Vitex pinnata) methanol extract toothpaste on saliva pH in Students of SD Negeri I Pagar AIR
Keywords:Saliva pH, Toothpaste, Methane extract
Background: Maintaining the pH balance of saliva is one way to prevent dental caries. The pH balance of saliva is influenced by the rate of salivary secretion. The rate of salivary secretion can be stimulated chemically and mechanically. Mechanical stimulation by brushing teeth and chemically by gargling. Indonesia is currently developing natural ingredients as medicinal ingredients that have been scientifically tested for their benefits and safety. Laban leaf (Vitex pinnata) is one of the many medicinal plants found in Indonesia. Laban leaves contain alkaloids, flavonoids, saponins, and tannins that can inhibit the growth of Streptococcus mutans so that it can remove dental plaque naturally. Some researchers state that laban leaf extract can affect the pH of saliva. This study aims to see the effect of the use of laban leaf methanol extract toothpaste on salivary pH.
Methods: Experimental research method with pre and post-tests design with proposing sampling technique where 26 people were taken as samples. The sample was divided into 2 groups which received different treatment. Group 1 was instructed to brush their teeth with laban leaf extract toothpaste and group 2 with toothpaste circulating in the market tied their teeth for 3 minutes.
Results: Results based on the comparison of salivary pH before and after brushing teeth, it was found that brushing teeth with methanol extract toothpaste of laban leaves was more effective in increasing salivary pH. Based on the use of toothpaste with laban leaf methanol extract, the significant value is 0.000<(0.05), so it can be concluded that reject H0. This means that there is an average difference before and after using laban leaf methanol extract toothpaste. In conclusion, the use of laban leaf methanol extract toothpaste has more effect on increasing the pH of saliva.
Conclusions: brushing teeth with laban leaf methanol extract toothpaste is more effective in increasing the pH of saliva. We recommend recommending further research to determine the potential of laban leaves to be used as raw material for toothpaste.
Kesehatan. K. Health Profile of Indonesia 2010. Jakarta: Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. Published online 2011.
Indonesian Ministry of Health. Riskesdas National Report; 2018.
Endang S. Taking care of teeth from an early age. Jakarta: Kompas Gramedia. Published online 2012.
Amerongen, A. Van Nieuw. Saliva and Salivary Glands Meaning For Dental Health. Gajah Mada University Press. Yogyakarta. Published online 1991.
Emie Thioritz. Differences in salivary pH and plaque growth between users of toothpaste containing detergent and non-detergent. 2018;17(15):8-13.
Hidayani TA HJ. Effect of smoking on pH status and saliva volume in adult and elderly men. DENTIKA. 2010;: 15(2):146-148.
Linardi AN. Differences in salivary pH between users of toothpaste containing baking soda and users of toothpaste containing fluoride. Published online 2014.
8. Khairnar MR, Dodamani AS, Karibasappa GN, Naik RG, Deshmukh MA. Efficacy of herbal toothpastes on salivary pH and salivary glucose A preliminary study. J Ayurveda Integr Med. 2017;8:10-3.
Rahmah RY, Rachmadi P, Widodo. Comparison of the Effectiveness of Herbal Toothpaste With Non-Herbal Toothpaste Against Plaque Index Reduction in Students of SDN Angsau 4 Pelaihari. Dentino (Jur Ked Gigi). 2014;II(2):120-124.
10. Debnath S, Sharma A, Taranath M, Tatikonda A, Chauhan V, Chaurasia V. Effects of herbal and non-herbal toothpastes on plaque and gingivitis: A clinical comparative study. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent. 2014;4(5):126.
Nuraskin CA. Effect of Laban Leaf Extract ( Vitex Pinnata ) Ie-Seu Um Geothermal Area As Toothpaste Base Ingredients Against Streptococcus Mutans (In Vitro Study) Disertation; 2020.
12. Nurasikin C, Marlina, Idroes R, Soraya C, Djufri. Identification of secondary metabolite of laban leaf extract (Vitex pinnata) From geothermal areas and non-geothermal of agam mountains in Aceh Besar, Aceh Province, Indonesia. Rasayan. 2020;13(1):18-23.
13. Nuraskin CA, Marlina M, Idroes R, Soraya C, Djufri D. Antibacterial activity tests of n-hexane, ethyl acetate, and methanol leaves (Vitex) extract (pinnata) against Streptococcus mutans. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2020;8(A):181-4.
14. Nuraskin CA, Reca R, Salfiyadi T, Abdurrahman A, Faisal TI, Soraya C. Toothpaste activity test of laban leaf methanol extract (Vitex pinnata) against the growth of streptococcus mutans bacteria. Maced J Med Sci. 2021;9:95-100.
Forssten SD, Björklund M, Ouwehand AC. Streptococcus mutans, caries and simulation models. Nutrients. 2010;2(3):290-298.
Primary MR. Effect of Siwak Wood Powder Extract. Salvador persica. Published online 2005.
Rosma M, Aritonang NJ. The effect of gargling with green tea solution on salivary pH in elementary school students 024761 North Binjai district in 2014. J Pharma Anal Nurse Nutr Midwiv Environ Dent. 2014;9(2):153-6.
Inna M. Differences in the number of bacteria in the Streptococcus mutans group in Saliva before and after brushing teeth using toothpaste containing Ganoderma lucidum mushroom extract. Published online 2009.